Electric Division- Safety
Downed power lines are deadly!
Know what to do if you see a downed power line
Avoid touching or approaching a downed power line
Downed power lines are dangerous. Never touch them. For safety’s sake, always assume that a downed power line is live, and follow these guidelines:
- NEVER touch the downed line with your hand or an object, such as a stick, broom or pole.
- NEVER touch anything, such as a car, nearby fence, object or equipment, or anyone who is in contact with a fallen power line.
- Keep children and pets away from downed electric lines.
- NEVER drive over a downed power line.
- Immediately call 9-1-1 and then KPU Electric at (907) 225-4011 to report a downed power line.
Stay safe if a downed power line touches your car
If your vehicle comes in contact with a downed power line, follow these safety rules:
- Stay inside your car. The ground around your car may be energized.
- Sound the horn, roll down your window and call for help.
- Warn others to stay away. Anyone who touches the equipment or ground around your car can be injured or killed.
- Use your mobile phone to call 9-1-1.
- Wait until the fire department, police or KPU Electric workers tell you it’s safe to get out of your car before exiting the vehicle.
If your car is in contact with a downed power line and a fire starts or it is otherwise unsafe to remain in your vehicle, follow these guidelines when exiting your vehicle:
- Remove loose items of clothing.
- Keep your hands at your sides and jump clear of the vehicle, so you are not touching the car when your feet hit the ground.
- Keep both feet close together and shuffle away from the vehicle without picking up your feet.
- Do not touch the down wires or equipment.
Follow these safety tips when using balloons and toys around power lines
- Ensure that helium-filled metallic balloons are tied to weights heavy enough to prevent them from floating into power lines.
- Use metallic balloons, kites and remote-control toys away from overhead electric lines to avoid the potential for power outages, fires and serious injuries.
- Contact KPU Electric immediately at (907) 225-4011 if a balloon or toy is caught in a power line. Never attempt to retrieve an object that is on or near a power line.
Look up and live!
Remember these important safety tips for overhead power lines:
- Look up before lifting ladders and other long-handled tools to avoid accidental contact with electric lines.
- Stay away from downed or dangling power lines. Don’t touch the lines.
Immediately call 9-1-1 and then KPU Electric at (907) 225-4011 to report a downed power line.
- Contact us at (907) 225-4011 to report tree branches or limbs near power lines. KPU crews are qualified to work around high-voltage lines, and can cut the limbs for you. Never attempt to do the trimming, yourself.
Report all electrical hazards to KPU immediately at 225-4011
For more information about how to stay safe during a power outage, please visit our Power Outages page.